Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Please, never buy a chocolate cake mix again.

To say that this cake has been in my family for years just isn't saying enough.  To say that it's presence is requisite at any Hoopes/Pax birthday party, that it has made many a morning breakfast so much better and that I can't make it without thinking of my mom are a little bit more of a clue into what this recipe means to the Hoopes clan.  

Legend has it that this cake became a hit in the post WWII era when eggs were scarce.  I don't know if eggs really were scarce then, but it makes the cake that much more interesting.  Also, no eggs = great cake for people (kids) with allergies to eggs.  I shared this recipe with a friend, whose kids have allergies.  She always keeps cupcakes from this recipe in the freezer.  When they go to a birthday party (where they usually can't have cake or ice cream) she takes a cupcake along so her kids don't feel so bad about missing out on birthday cake.

This cake is so easy.  The recipe is a little goofy, but I usually stick to it because the kids love making it with the three indentations.  And without the goofiness, it just wouldn't be "wacky" anymore.

*Chocolate Wacky Cake

3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
5 Tb. cocoa
2 Tb. vinegar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. + 2 Tb. oil
2 c. cold water

Sift the first five ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.  Make three indentations into the mixture.  Into the first indentation, place vanilla, into the second, vinegar, into the third, oil.  Pour 2 cups cold water over the mixture.  Beat until smooth.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes (9 x 13 pan).  When doing layers, I use dark, 9 inch round cake pans, bake it at 325 degrees and keep it in the oven 25-30 minutes.  Cool cake(s).  Frost w/ buttercream chocolate frosting.

*The secret is in the sauce...
What really makes this recipe fun is experimenting with mix ins.  Like a cup of chocolate chips (dusted in flour) yum.  I also frequently add 1/2 c. of sour cream for extra deluxe moisture.

And, if you do a layered cake (recommended!) have fun with what you put in the middle.   Recent attempts: ganache, which was surprisingly not that great, also, melted chocolate allowed to harden covered in frosting, which was, for lack of a better expression, Yumm-o!  

P.S.  Seriously, you have to try it for breakfast.  Cold cake with a glass of milk.  It gets better overnight.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I can attest that this cake is amazing and I plan to make it for our next birthday. Thanks Kelly for the recipe!

Jamie said...

I still use this cake all the time! So easy, and so delicious! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe with me years ago. Thanks to you, my kids have always had birthday cake!

Davis's Magical Mystery Tour said...

Kelly, Sam keeps telling me how wonderful you are. How he is SO impressed with you. You are such a good cook. You are a SAINT! I'm so glad you are our sister. Thanks for letting him visit even though you had company. Please come visit us. I need you to rub off on me:)

Anonymous said...

Kelly - I got a piece of this cake at the Scoop Dinner auction. The hardened chocolate between the layers was the winning feature of the cake in my opinion. The cake is excellent!