Sunday, April 5, 2009

Thumbprint Cookies--our Easter Tradition


Happy Easter! (almost)

These cookies make Easter sweet.  Lots of chopped walnuts make a yummy coating on the outside, but you could experiment with it and try sprinkles, too.  If you're a health food nut like my Aunt Patrice, roll them in flax seed (but it is my feeling that cookies should taste good).

(I wish I could claim the photos--but they're not mine--and trust me, mine aren't nearly as beautiful, but they are TASTY no matter what they look like.)

Thumbprint Cookies
from Better Homes and Gardens

2/3 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
2 slightly beaten egg whites
1 cup finely chopped walnuts

1.  In a large mixing  bowl beat butter for about 30 seconds.  Add the sugar and beat till combined.  Beat in egg yolks and vanilla till combined.  Beat in the flour.  Cover; chill for about an hour.

2.  Shape dough into 1-inch balls.  Roll balls in egg whites, then in walnuts.  Place 1 inch apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.  Press your thumb into the center of each ball (kids love helping out with this part).  Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes (until edges are lightly browned).  Cool.  Fill centers with icing (we like ours flavored with anise--don't knock it till you've tried it).


3 comments:

Natalie said...

I love icing with anise! These look so good. You crack me up - "You can roll them in flax seed, but it is my feeling that cookies should taste good..."

Jessica Brown said...

Dangit what am I going to do without thumb print cookies this year! Darn dairy allergies!

Erin said...

Oh, I love recipes that have traditions behind them. They are especially fun. I can't wait to try these cute cookies out!
Erin (from The Sisters' Cafe)