Monday, October 13, 2008

Buttermilk and Cheddar Cheese Biscuits

Another favorite. This is from Martha Stewart. I cut down the butter (it's my mother coming out in me) as noted in the recipe.

Makes 16 biscuits
Buttermilk makes biscuits airy and tangy (according to Martha)

4 c. flour, plus more for work surface
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter (I use 3/4 c. butter and it turns out fabulous)
2 cups buttermilk
3 c. grated cheddar cheese (can be omitted)

1. Preheat over to 375°F. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Cut in butter, using a pastry blender or two knives, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese.

2. Add the buttermilk; stir just until the dough comes together; it will be sticky. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. With floured fingers, pat the dough to a 1-inch thickness. Use a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter to cut out biscuits, cutting as close together as possible to minimize scraps.

3. Transfer to a baking sheet; bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven, and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Those biscuits look so good, I can't wait to try them.

Screwed Up Texan said...

This looks so yummy! I will have to try seeing as I have at least four cans of chopped clams sitting in my pantry right now. My favorite place to eat clam chowder is at a little resteraunt in Newport, OR.

Thanks for the recipe!

www.screweduptexan.com