New England Clam Chowder
This recipe has been one of my favorites for many years. And now that I'm living in New England, with all this beautiful fall feeling in the air, it was time to bring it back. I think it's a Lion House recipe...but I've made a few of my own (healthy-er) changes.
2 cans minced or chopped clams
2 c. potatoes, finely diced
1 c. celery, finely diced
1 c. onions, finely chopped and sauteed until golden brown
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
1 quart milk
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
pepper to taste
Pour juice from clams over veggies in a medium sauce pan. Add water to barely cover. Simmer until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, make a white sauce. In a large stock pan, melt butter, stir in flour until smooth. Blend in milk. Stirring constantly, cook until smooth and thick. Add undrained veggies. Heat without boiling. Season with salt, sugar and pepper. Add clams just before serving.
Delicious with buttermilk biscuits.
1 comment:
I made this for dinner last night with your biscuits and it was delicious. I also have a recipe for clam chowder but it calls for 1 pint 1/2 and 1/2 and one pint of milk. Yours is definitely healthier, although I will say I like to add a little garlic salt for taste. The biscuits were delicious!
Post a Comment