Friday, July 17, 2009

Green Vegetable Curry

Tonight found Jared and me looking for something good for dinner. He was home late and the kids were already fed and in bed. I have had some green curry paste sitting in my pantry for a while, sort of forgotten, kind of on hold, until I got brave enough to give a new Thai recipe a try. We had some of our first squash, which is just starting to come on from the garden and that combined with no picky-kid-palates to worry about made tonight the perfect night to give a new Thai recipe a chance.

Garden grown fresh vegetables are a thing of beauty. But making those into a dish that you could actually lick-clean-from-your-plate is even more beautiful. Chop fast and you will have the dish completely made before your rice is done cooking. If you do make this, you'll have to be careful to adjust the seasonings to your tastes. Next time we try it, we'll definitely try to add more saltiness and a little bit more heat. We adapted this recipe from the one on the jar of green curry paste.

1-2 Tb. Green Curry Paste (we used Thai Kitchen brand)
1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
1-2 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise then chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
1-2 small yellow squash, prepared same as zucchini
1 onion, chopped in 1/4 inch slices
2 Tb. butter
1-2 Tb. fish sauce
1 Tb. brown sugar
1/2 c. frozen peas
1/3 c. chicken broth
fresh basil to garnish

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add chopped onions. Saute onions for about 3 minutes. Add coconut milk and curry paste and simmer for five minutes. Add chicken broth, fish sauce and brown sugar. Adjust seasonings to taste. Add chopped vegetables and simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until vegetables are well cooked. Add peas. Cool for five minutes, then serve over jasmine rice (cook the rice with plenty of salt). Garnish with fresh basil. Serves up to 4 (but we put a pretty good dent in it with just the two of us).

3 comments:

Kim said...

I have been craving Thai food! None to speak of here - so sad. Thanks for the nudge in attempting to make my own. I'll have to give it a try. I love how easy and good this sounds. Hmmmm, I wonder if my local Walmart carries Thai Kitchen Green Curry paste. That should be interesting!

Kelly said...

Kim, if they don't, email me and I'll send you some. I think it'll satisfy your Thai food needs!

Kim said...

We finally tried this tonight. So good! And I did find the curry paste but not at Walmart. However, I neglected to buy fish oil! Oops. So we substituted soy sauce but next time I'm not forgetting the fish oil. We are looking forward to making this again and experimenting with it. Thanks again for the post.