Sunday, July 12, 2009

Feels Like Summer Chicken Pitas

In CT, we've been looking for summer to show her face for several weeks now. Here we are, almost the middle of July, and I think, I think, that she's officially here! We celebrated with a perfect summer meal, ate it outside picnic style: chicken pitas, fruit salad (with cherries!) and artichokes. Here's the recipe for the chicken pitas. J and I combined a few recipes, used what we had on hand, and then added our own personal touches.

Chicken Pitas

2 c. cooked chicken, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 c. white onion, finely chopped (I'd have gone with less but Jared was in charge of the onion and it turned out muy bueno)
1/2 c. cashew halves
1/2 c. chopped apple (we used Gala)
1/2 c. chopped red pepper

Dressing
1/2 c. mayo
6 T. sour cream or plain yogurt
1 T. honey
2 tsp. curry
dash of salt

In a medium bowl, mix the first six ingredients and stir to combine. Mix the dressing ingredients in a smaller bowl and then gently stir over the chicken mixture. We served this in pitas with fresh-from-the-garden basil tucked inside. Don't forget the garden chair and a sky full of sunshine.

1 comment:

Jessica Brown said...

Those look good! And that artichoke is making my mouth water.