Saturday, January 26, 2008

two grandmas spaghetti sauce


This is a recipe that Grandma Hoopes and Grandma Pope have in their collaborative cook book. I love it. I've shared it plenty and it's always a hit. Total comfort food. And, like I've said before, the hardest part is opening the cans. They call it "Italian Spaghetti Sauce" but I like to call it:

Two Grandmas Spaghetti Sauce
In 2 Tb. olive oil, brown 1 lb. hamburger and one chopped onion until onion is transparent. Add 2 cloves of garlic (chopped or minced) after meat is browned and onion is cooked and saute for about 30 seconds.
Add one large (28 oz.) can of tomatoes (crushed, pureed, whatever you prefer)
Add one 15-16oz. can of tomato sauce
Add one small can tomato paste
Add 2 c. water
Season with 2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tb. parsley (if you have fresh, about 1/4 cup)
1 Tb. oregano
1/2 tsp. thyme
2 bay leaves
1 Tb. sugar
pepper to taste


Simmer on stove top for 2 hours. I always get at least 2 meals out of this. Sometimes a lasagna and spaghetti dinner. Last time I made it we had some friends over who don't eat beef so I added some fried eggplant and that was a very delicious alternative. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Jenny said...

the water--is it two cups? It doesn't say so...just wondering!

Kelly said...

Jenny, yep, 2 c. Sorry, I'll have to fix that!

Natalie said...

I love making this on an evening when I'm taking a meal to another family. There's plenty to go around. So healthy, too!

Kylie Walker said...

Whitney gave me your food blog while we were staying at your house:) And we looovvveedd this spaghetti! I am so excited for all of these yummy food ideas, and the spaghetti sauce was really yummy, definitely worth putting in the effort

Karen said...

Love it Kelly!

Karen said...

Love it Kelly!