Sunday, March 20, 2011

Big Ole Cinnamon Roll

My Minnesota brother, Drew, emailed me a few weeks ago saying that he needed a "dang good" recipe for cinnamon rolls. So, I sent him this one, which I found in an old Edgemont 14th Ward cookbook. I've been using and adapting for the last few years. It's not perfected--but cinnamon rolls can be far from perfect and still be enjoyed, right?

Drew even sent me a picture of their rolls (see above). Since he supplied the picture, and the recipe is all typed out, I thought I'd share it with you.

1/2 c. butter
2 c. milk
1/2 c. warm water (at least 110°)
1/2 c. sugar
2 Tb. yeast
2 eggs
3 cups bread flour
3 cups all purpose flour plus up to 1 cup extra flour to get a smooth dough consistency
(If you don't have bread flour, all purpose will work fine. but you should make the investment. It's changed my bread making life.)
1 Tb. salt

Microwave butter and milk for 2 minutes in a glass measuring cup.

Mix water, sugar and yeast and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat eggs until foamy with whisk attachment.

Switch to the dough hook and add salt to butter and milk. Add cooled butter mixture to eggs, then add the yeast mixture. With mixer on low speed, add flour 1 cup at a time until you reach a smooth, elastic consistency. Knead with mixer on low for about 6-8 minutes. Cover with a wet tea towel until doubled in size (about an hour). Punch dough down and let it rise again (another 45min-hour). Roll dough onto a generously floured dish towel (a tea towel works great and is the perfect size). Spread 1/2 c. melted butter over dough (I sometimes cut back, but I usually regret doing so). Sprinkle with 1 cup sugar and 1/4 c. cinnamon. Roll into a tight log starting at one long end and working towards the other. Cut into slices with string or with a knife. Put into prepared pans and let rise until double. I usually get about (4) 8" round pans out of this. Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes.

Frosting:
4 T. butter
4 oz. cream cheese
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. milk

P.S. Drew emailed me again after making a second batch and said that they actually double the frosting recipe (these rolls are huge), obviously, doubling the goodness. Not a bad idea. Looks like he added some chopped walnuts with the sugar and cinnamon which could only improve the cinnamon roll experience.

5 comments:

BrookeHoopes said...

Can't wait to try these!

jane said...

Can someone please just make these yummies appear in my kitchen. I need a late night snack and this sounds perfect!

Esther said...

Hm, I might need to post this in the Relief Society bulletin. I'm running out of recipes to share. Okay, I'm out. The sisters supply them on a voluntary basis but it's really me soliciting them for recipes every week. They LOVE the recipes section though so I keep doing it.

Drew said...

Lost this recipe in the move so I'm extra glad you posted. These also go well with GC weekend.

Natalie said...

Sugar and cinnamon can dry out he dough so don't roll it too thin. The size of a tea towel is about right