Friday, October 16, 2009

Mushroom, Chicken Pasta


Lately instead of planning my own menu for the week I have been letting the foodnetwork do it. I found on their website that you can click on a five day menu plan for the week. I just have to check them to make sure I can render it to be dairy/egg/nut free and botta bing botta boom, with very little effort I have a menu plan and shopping list for my next week. The only down side to this of course is that some of the recipes are seriously gross, but when you click on the "Healthy and Cheap" link what more can you expect right? This recipe that I'm posting today was one that was actually quite tasty. I'm not claiming it to be phenominal, but it was really good, really easy, and pretty cheap. So here it is. I couldn't find it again, I just wrote the recipe down without a name, so sorry to not give the link or name. It's off of the food network I know that much.

1 TB olive oil
1 lb boneless/skinless chicken breast, sliced crosswise
1 tsp salt
1 TB olive oil
6-8 cloves of garlic, crushed (I just use the fresh stuff from a jar so I don't have to peel the garlic)
1/2 lb mushrooms, quartered
1/2 c green onions, sliced
3/4c red or orange sweet peppers
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (undrained)
1/2 c chicken broth
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups dry bow tie pasta- cook as directed
1/4 c fresh cilantro, chopped
parmesan cheese, grated

1. Fry chicken in oil oer medium heat until done. Sprinkley with salt and remove from skillet. Keep warm.
2. Cook garlic in oil until golden. Add mushrooms, green onions and peppers- cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, red pepper, cornstarch and salt. Heat to boiling then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
#. Comgine chicken, hot mixture, pasta and cilantro. Sprinkle with fresh parmesan to your liking and enjoy!
*Use less crushed red pepper to make it mild. Also, I add the peppers when I have them on hand- zuucchini and squash are delicious too.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Botta-bing-botta-boom! That's my new favorite phrase.